Sunflower News is a pre-launch project bringing together people, organizations, and technology in the climate movement around the world. We’re partnering with global organizations including indigenous-rights group Cultural Survival, technology advisorship Exponential View, and climate jobs community Climatebase. We believe that building connections in the climate movement is one of the most powerful things we can do. But we’re a small team, based in Portland, Oregon, working globally, and we need help.
We are looking for a passionate and engaging Climate Community Connector to join our volunteer team. In this role, you will play a crucial part in connecting people and organizations within the climate movement to each other and to our organization. We have an abundance of opportunities to connect with people and organizations in the climate movement, but we don’t have the capacity to follow-up on those opportunities. We need your help replying to emails, responding to social media posts and blog comments, and scheduling video chats with climate activists around the world. We’ve got emails in our inboxes that we don’t have the capacity to respond to! We need your help making these connections. And once we make those, we’ll make more.
This may become a paid position someday, but right now we’re looking for someone great who wants to do it just because it’s important and really exciting.
1. Outreach and Connection Building
- Respond to and proactively reach out to individuals and organizations within the climate movement to establish connections
- Maintain and update a database of contacts, ensuring accurate and up-to-date information
2. Communication and Networking
- Communicate effectively through emails, social media, video conferences, and other platforms as needed
- Represent the team you’ll be joining, effectively and with enthusiasm in all interactions
3. Scheduling and Coordination
- Schedule and coordinate meetings, technology demos, and other engagements
- Ensure that all parties involved in collaborative efforts are kept informed and engaged
- You love meeting new people and making connections
- You’ve got passionate feelings about climate change and environmental issues
- Interest in all the angles, from intersectional climate justice to climate tech and green jobs
- Clear, energetic, written and verbal communication
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Proficiency in using social media, email, and other digital communication tools
- Experience in networking and relationship-building is a plus
- Previous experience in a similar role or volunteer work in the environmental sector is desirable but not required
- Be part of a dedicated and passionate team working to make an impact on climate that far exceeds our tiny size
- Expand your network and knowledge of the global climate movement
- Gain valuable experience in community engagement and outreach
- Opportunity to contribute to the global fight against climate change
If you are passionate about the climate movement and excited to help us build connections, please send us an email outlining your interest and qualifications. You can email email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you!